What Is Annulment In Singapore?
Annulment in Singapore is a declaration to legally void and nullify a marriage.
An annulment of marriage declared by the Court would allow you to revert back to the status you had before you were married, that is, it is as if you have never been married before.
So not only the marriage is ended, in the eyes of the law, the marriage never existed at all.
Unlike regular reasons for getting a divorce, you need not be married for a minimum of 3 years before applying for annulment of marriage.
You can consider to apply for annulment of marriage in Singapore if:-
- your spouse is unwilling to consummate the marriage.
- either party was already married at the time of marriage.
- your spouse was suffering from a sexually transmitted disease at the time of marriage.
- either party has a mental illness rendering him/her unfit for marriage
- your spouse was pregnant with someone else’s child at the time of marriage.
- either party was coerced or forced into the marriage.
- either party didn’t agree to the marriage.
The above list is a general guide and not exhaustive.
You may wish to discuss with our divorce lawyer for more advice.
Contact us today for a FREE phone consultation!